72813Re: Marklin 0-6-0 engine gears - can they be bought without wheels

  • Greg Elmassian
    May 13, 2013
      If I remember correctly, quite often the center axle does not really touch the railhead, or it does in one direction and not in the other.

      That is actually helpful, since if you really need to remove the flange on the center driver, then that implies that the curve is such that the driver could actually "leave" the rail head laterally.

      When you are in this situation, often a loco will derail when the driver tries to "climb back on" the railhead on tangent (straight) track.

      In prototype locos, usually the blind driver has a much wider tread to keep the driver on the rail head.

      Regards, Greg

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dlhort1955" <dlhort1955@...> wrote:
      > We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well. Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?
      > Thank you for your help.
      > dave
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic