72751Re: [Z_Scale] Re: electric pick-up problems Wheel spacing

  • BAZ
    Apr 29, 2013
      Well . . . the back-to-back sets a guide for inside turnout guard rails but doesn't account the variation in the flange and tread profile. Even the manufacturers have issues, with manufacturing tolerance on wheels to turnouts. Märklin locos, turnouts and Rokohan track have never had gauge issues.

      I use both the Nn3 standard gauge (via Northwest Short Line) and MTL's track/coupler gauge. I find that if any manufacturers flange (that maximal diameter part) it's in the *middle* of the notch, it run on anything. A few thou either way (the width of that notch) and you can have issues.

      Rodney's tools made a wheel gauge tool. Needs a chamfer gradient files on one edge to allow it to get on under gauges axles. Still, check the flange. At least it makes the wheels parallel (some just put a screwdriver in there and wedge the wheel out, causing wobbling.

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z

      Sent 'from the road'