72501Re: New to the Group

  • mark2playz
    Mar 17, 2013
      The Zephyr set is great for a small layout, I've run mine for years off and on on small layouts and modeling parts of its route in California has been my main interest in recent years. Couple thoughts for you.
      If you haven't run the Zephyr engine much, it may be a victim of "harden oil syndrome" (HOS). Early on, Marklin used a lubricant that doesn't age well. So, check the gears for a waxy build-up and if so, clean and re-lub.
      Also, the Marklin F7 doesn't DCC very easily, so you'll probably want to keep it DC.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Gardenrails <gardenrails@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.
      > Sent from my iPhone
      > On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:
      > > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
      > > I do not model american but the principals are the same
      > >
      > > Regards Ralph
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic