72496Re: New to the Group

  • Ralph
    Mar 16, 2013
      Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
      I do not model american but the principals are the same

      Regards Ralph

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
      >
      > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic