      From: mark2playz <mark.markham@...>
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:49 AM
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: New to the Group

      Hi Garden,
      Welcome to modeling Z. Nearly all your questions can be answered with: "It depends...". Choices for track or throttles or layout techniques really depends on what you want your layout to be, what your modeling skills are, what you'd like your skills to become and how much time and money you want to invest.
      In Z you'll find briefcase layouts, coffee table layouts (I've done a couple of these) to basement size, fantasy versus prototypical. It would seem from that from your CP comment, that you're leaning toward the prototypical. The smaller layouts tend to be battery powered and larger trend toward DCC.
      If you want to get up and running quickly, the roadbed sectional track from MTL or Rokuhan are decent choices, although using MTL or Pecos flex track or hand-laid track, while much more time consuming, will give better looking results.
      The GP9/GP35 from MTL are good running "second generation" units and run well on clean, well-laid track. I'm happy with mine. AZL has brought out what could be called "third generation" GPs that IMHO run exceptionally well, matching anything in the larger scales. I believe they have a CP GP38-2 you might find interesting.
      My rules for Z scale modeling are:
      It can never be too clean.
      Always use a 1/32" or finer metal ruler.
      "Close enough", "flat enough" or "straight enough" generally isn't.

      Hope this helps,
      Mark
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic