      From: holdthefort57 <mmbless@...>
      Subject: [Z_Scale] hello from a newbie
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 7:07 PM

      I've joined this group after acquiring a Marklin Z layout from my father, which is in the benchwork complete stage. I've had lots of Marklin HO experience, but none with Z. I'm in the Great Lakes ETE chapter with a HO module of my own. If you could indulge a few newbie questions regarding finishing the Z layout:

      1. roadbed: cork roadbed is already mostly down, but I also have pieces of a foam roadbed with ballast and molded depressions to fit the ties, not sure of the brand as there is no packaging. Is this better than the cork? Does the track just get inserted into this roadbed without adhesive? I was going to use the cork and ballast it the usual way and skip the foam, unless it's the best way to go (to avoid issues with loose ballast and ballast cement maybe?)

      2. track feeders: what's the recommendation for how far apart to space feeders? I was planning to solder them to the rail joiners every 2 ft or so.

      3. reverse loops: any recommendations for auto-reversers?

      4. catenary: Is it more trouble than it's worth? Is Marklin the only supplier? I don't think Sommerfeldt or Viessman has Z catenary.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic