71179Re: Why 1:220 ?

  • dks2855
    Sep 1, 2012
      And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.

      A few others:
      Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.

      Regards,
      David

      > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
      > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
      > > and fertilizers ;>)
      >
      > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
      > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
      > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
      > that space.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic