      From: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
      Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Why 1:220 ?
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, September 1, 2012, 6:53 PM

      I had heard that Marklin engineers looked at the smallest trains that was feasible to produce with the technology at the time. Their calculations came up with a track gauge of 6.5mm, which equated to 1:220. This was over 25% smaller than N scale which was still in it's infancy.

      Marklin had actually looked at producing N scale in 1968 but stopped
      production in lieu of going to Z scale. They had a few prototypes that showed off during that period.

      Another interesting note is the motors Marklin uses. These originated as slot car motors. They were readily available at that time.

      Somewhere in my notes. I have the name of the chief engineer who developed Z. His is the true father of Z scale.

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
      and Rokuhan dealer.