      From: Conrad S <ckstruckman@...>
      To: z_scale <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 8:48 am
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Gatorboard & Ultraboard

      Hi,

      I was wondering if anyone had experience with a Gatorboard-like product called
      Ultraboard. Some of the posts here have disussed Gatorboard, and the Summer 2011 Layout Design Journal had a couple of articles on
      making layout sections with Gatorboard. I was very impressed with the
      description of its strength, flatness and water/warping resistance. It's very
      expensive, 2-3 times plywood, so I have been calling sign stores in my area to
      try and find 4x8 sheets at a wholesale price.

      One local print shop said that they have switched from Gatorboard to a product
      called Ultraboard because the exterior surfaces are more "plastic" like and they
      prefer it for machining. Not clear what that means, but the owner was out so I
      will have to call back. Has anyone used Ultraboard?

      On paper, website specs look very similar, thought Ultraboard's flatness spec is
      +/- 0.030", which is better than Gatorboards" +/- 0.0625".

      Regards,

      Conrad