      From: Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>
      Subject: [Z_Scale] PayPal demand for access to banking information
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 30, 2011, 9:59 AM

         I believe that enough of us use PayPal that this should be of interest
      to this list.  PayPal is demanding that I give them access to my banking
      information because I "am nearing the limit" of money transferred (almost
      all sent to internet merchants).  This is an arbitrary limit.  They will
      then fiddle with my bank account and I have to tell them exactly what
      fiddling they've been doing.  At no time have I failed to have the funds
      available, nor has there been any irregularity in my transactions.  On the
      contrary, once I was defrauded by an individual, Robert Dressel.

         I am highly reluctant to provide this information for several reasons.
      First, I fail to see any justification for this.  Second, in the wake of
      numerous security breaches at financial institutions leading to fraud or
      identity theft, I am reluctant to give any unnecessary financial
      information to a remote party such as PayPal.  I worry about them having
      my credit card information as it is.

         Am I just being paranoid?  What do others think about this intrusive

         -- Malcolm Z