65767Re: [Z_Scale] Re: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

  • Loren Snyder
    Nov 7, 2010
      Mark,
      One additional comment regarding loco performance. Loco performance
      depends partly on how it was assembled and with what care, and also the
      actual parts used. Once a couple of years ago, MTL's machine for making the
      F7 wheel sets became a bit worn and the resulting wheel sets had a slight
      wobble from some factor I am not well versed on. The problem came to light
      in part when one of my customers complained of F7 wobble. Upon
      investigating the issue, the worn tooling was discovered. Upon correction
      of the faulty tool the problem was completely eliminated and all campers
      went to bed happy under the stars that night.

      I think Rob Kluz thoroughly explained why some locos just don't sync
      together easily, differing gear ratios taken into consideration.

      I bought one of the first AZL UP GP7s that was not really ready for prime
      time and was released prior to the regular release. One would have expected
      it to perhaps perform less than ideally because of its early production and
      not having everything just exactly right.
      Low and behold, due to it being hand assembled by a person who really took
      pains to insure the best, my particular loco ran like a scared rabbit.
      Nothing from AZL has ever run quite that good. It walks away from other
      GP7s I've had so I call it my little 'streak'

      This is not to say the other AZL locos have not run well right out of the
      box after a little break in time, but this particular loco seemed to be in a
      class all its own. I know that is an exception to the rule.......but you
      won't hear me complaining about its speed.

      Nice little choo choo.

      Loren