65766Re: [Z_Scale] Re: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

  • Loren Snyder
    Nov 7, 2010
      Mark,
      I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
      observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
      is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
      you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
      of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
      time to time.

      On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
      of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
      the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
      drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
      wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
      The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
      free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.

      Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
      track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
      formula for 'good times'.

      Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
      necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.

      Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.

      Loren

      'it's all in the way you hold your lips'