65534Re: A little history

  • mark2playz
    Oct 7, 2010
      Alan,
      After seeing the MTL operation in Oregon, western labor doesn't have to be expensive labor. I was amazed at amount of quality manufacturing they do in-house while still keeping prices low. I think the costs are determined more by smart management than cheap labor.
      I agree that I don't mind paying for a reasonable mark-up for western labor costs...the job I save just might be my own!

      Mark

      > > On another topic about the prices for N scale vs Z scale,
      > > there is another reason Z equipment can be slightly higher:
      > > Engineering and assembly labor.
      >
      > And also the fact a lot of that labour is done in Western countries at
      > higher cost. Personally that makes me somewhat happier even if my bank
      > manager disagrees.
      >
      > And with the strikes in China, rapid wage rises and the pending trade war
      > with the USA the pricing margin may well narrow quite a bit.
      >
      > Alan

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic