65119Re: Marklin transformer polarity

  • luckykid43
    Jul 25, 2010
      Like Garth has done, I plan to have two separate tracks with two separate transformers. I have read Chapter 5 in the Atlas Wiring book where they discuss multiple power packs and blocks and the controls necessary to carry that type of layout through. That was where I thought the transition from one block to another might be affected by polarity, even though it is DC not AC power. But, I guess I don't really have to be concerned. I just like to get to the bottom of things. Luckykid

      > It is not wise to connect two power packs to the same piece of track. You can not control different locos on the same track with two different power packs. This is DC. So one track loop one power pack. You can create a layout with multiple loops of track but then you have to set up blocks with switches which allow you to use either controller in any block or series of blocks. Each Block is electrically isolated from the other and one one power pack can be selected to operate one block. When crossing a block boundary you can select power to the adjacent block and connect it to your current power pack or you can pass between the two blocks if the track voltage is match across the block boundary. IF they are not matched then smoke is what happens.
      >
      > If you are not familiar with wiring a model railroad then visit your local hobby shop or online supplier and get a hold of a book on basic electricity for model railroads and block wiring. Atlas produces some books on the topic but they tend to use a common rail system which I do not recommend for Z.
      >
      > My own layout is a double track main and each main is isolated form the other so I use one power pack for each main so I can run two trains totally independent of one another.
      >
      > cheerz Garth
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "luckykid43" <luckykid43@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually, I was not clear in my purpose with this question. I thought there might be a problem if I was using more than one Marklin transformer/controller in my layout and the polarity of the transformers themselves ended up different.
      > > I hope that helps.
      > > luckykid
      > >
      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > If you look at the front of the controller you will see that the control has a center off or zero volt position. The output is DC so it does not really matter which is plugged in where. However if are connected to the track and you turn your control to the left and the engine moves to the right, then reverse the plugs to the track and now when you move control to right to increase speed teh engine will move to the right corresponding to the position of the knob and when you move it past zero to the left the train will move to the left.
      > > >
      > > > Other than aesthetics it really does not matter which rail is plus and which is minus as they change whenever you change the direction of travel of your locomotive. The only time there is conflict is if you create a reverse loop or a balloon loop at the end of a section of track that returns to the same track. This is a no no on DC as it causes a dead short between the two DC leads and need to have a special controller to make this work automatically or a set of switches and insulators to allow this to work.
      > > >
      > > > cheerz Garth

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic