64398Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • David K. Smith
    Feb 6, 2010
      Jim, I don't agree that they look "out of scale" on a North American layout; they look more out of place due to being a Japanese prototype than due to their size. Using them on a North American layout will absolutely require some kind of adaptation. There were many smaller, light American steamers for which this model could serve as a beginning. For example, leave off the leading and trailing trucks, and you've got a great start for a USRA 0-8-0. Likely the hardest parts to adapt may be the drivers, but I think Robert Ray has a simple solution for that.

      I will be very anxious to see what some adventurous bashers will be doing with this little gem. I know I've got some ideas already, but I'm not ready to spill the beans just yet.

      --David
      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
      http://1-220.blogspot.com/