64396Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Garth
    Feb 6, 2010
      It would be interesting to see just how many pieces Tenshodo made in the 8 variations of the Z-scale Mikado.

      Tenshodo has been making models in various scales for years going back further than WWII. They were the superior brand in the 80's for No. American brass engines. As for R&D that is one place where they have already done it. This engine has been previously produced in 3 scales that I know of by Tenshodo in Brass in Japan. They may even have a vast resource of R&D from their HO and O gauge North American production days.

      I think it is this vast resource of engineering data they have amassed long before these engines died coupled with a good Chinese partner that have made this Z-Scale D51 possible at the price it is being offered at. If you are not familiar with the Japanese N-scale Market this engine came out at about the same price break as Kato and Micro Ace steam engines have been selling for in Japan for several years.

      I do not know how many are produced in a run but I know that with few exceptions they do not last for really long periods of time on the shelves of the hobby stores in Japan. In many cases the really popular releases reappear again after a few years.

      It was interesting to note that when I tallied up the total production of the various Steam Engines types produced just by Micro Ace in Japan since the late 1990's to the present, that it exceeds the total number of models produced for whole North American Market since the start of N-scale with Treble O in England in the late 1960's.

      cheerz Garth