64391Re: [Z_Scale] Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Reynard Wellman
    Feb 6, 2010
      Hi David,
      I put my D51 thru its paces this morning, across turnouts
      thrown and un-thrown, backwards and forwards, at fast
      speeds and at slow speeds. Have not hauled any equipment
      yet because mine came with the Arnold style coupler mounted
      (though they do provide the awkward AZL type couplers in a
      plastic bag). I prefer the MTL couplers for all my rolling stock,
      so I'll be mounting those to the D51 when time allows.

      The only hiccups occur amidst the MTL turnout frogs which,
      incidentally, is a constant problem for all brands of steam
      locos in these turnouts. But the D51 simply blinks slightly and
      continues on as if nothing had happened. Amazing and
      consistent performance from a new locomotive! I attribute this
      fine performance to the 16 electrical pickups incorporated in
      the design of this product. Flange depth is perfect. Not only
      is this loco gauged correctly, it has a realistic driver appearance
      that makes the Marklin Mikado look toyish (though I still
      love my toyz!)

      I was also delighted to find the loco lighted. It seems that none
      of the other Z steam manufacturers seem to bother with
      illuminating a "top-of-boiler" mounted headlamp which back
      in the old days of HO scale was accomplished by simply
      providing a piece of lumunite plastic up into the projected fixture
      while the grain-of-wheat bulb was buried down in the boiler.
      Tenshodo had the good sense to go ahead with this feature
      nicety. Kudos again for Tenshodo!

      My first impression is that this might very well be the product
      to spur the steam runners to demand better engineering
      from our Z scale manufacturers.

      best regardZ,
      Reynard