64387Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • David K. Smith
    Feb 6, 2010
      Reynard, I can confirm it has 16-wheel pickup. The drivers all pick up through a pair of thin contact strips embedded in the plastic frame. The tender wheels follow pin-and-cup Kato style trucks, with contact strips embedded in the underframe. The mechanism design is ingenious, and is well suited for bashing into American and other locomotives, although the drivers are of an unusual style. Flanges are fine (2/3 of Marklin's), and there are even brake shoes between the drivers. I could easily envision two of them used to make an articulated, for example. I could see the mechanism chopped down to make an X-6-X as well.

      --David
      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
      http://1-220.blogspot.com/