64380Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Garth
    Feb 5, 2010
      Well I did not go hog wild but I had preordered one of the two and ordered the plain jane version also with some of the card stock buildings so that makes 4 for me.

      I am sure it would be easy to put another shell on top of this mechanism. Will have to do some research as to what engines had drivers this size and I am sure they are either narrow gauge or industrial not main line steam.

      As too power an existing Marklin USRA engine with this tender I think it should be a fairly easy conversion. On my Web site www.nn3.ca there are several pictures of early pioneers of Nn3 who used tender mounted motors to power their narrow gauge Colorado engines. The just used the motor shaft from a burned out Marklin motor and mounted a brass block where the motor was with a clearance hole for the old shaft and gear and then connected up to a piano wire drive to the tender.

      I think my next job is to remove the coupler pocket on the rear truck of the tender and body mount a 905 on the tender for better operating as the knuckle tends to pop up under load as the box was designed for the Rapido coupler which of course has to rise over the other one when coupling.

      The above link shows my D51 moving 19 Japanese Freight cars from Crown on my 2 x 4 show test track oval. The camera is the one in my Ipod so not very sharp video but the best I can do currently.

      cheerz Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pray59_3" <pray59@...> wrote:
      > I am overjoyed that everyone is hesitant to order their D51's, as they are on sale till the 11th of February, so as each version come in stock the next few days, they will be re-priced from 5% off to 20% off for SAL shipping bonus, and I will be snapping them up! I got 7 so far! haha!
      > Oh, by the way, they really do look and run beautiful, and that 16 wheel electrical pickup just hands down trumps ALL OTHER Z SCALE LOCOMOTIVES MANUFACTURED TO DATE!
      > In fact, this tender electrically wired to a small Marklin steamer (non tank versing please) would make it a super smooth runner, even if you just leave the tender motor free spinning due to the extra 8 wheel electrical pickup tender!
      > Just think if you were able to mount the universal joint to an extended motor shaft on the back of the Marklin steamer's motor, and have a dual motored loco!
      > -Robert Ray
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic