64379Re: [Z_Scale] Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Arnim v. Herff
    Feb 5, 2010
      Am Samstag, 6. Februar 2010 02:16:52 schrieb Reynard Wellman:
      > 1] There is a difference in Gauge:
      > D51 = .243", (6,17 mm)
      > Marklin Mikado = .249" (6,32 mm).

      > Overall, a very likable little steamer. Looks like it belongs more
      > in the 1/240 scale realm of choo-choos though and that might be
      > an odd place to aim for. We'll see after the operations tests.

      Hello Reynard.

      The gauge of our favorite "Yellow Steamer" *must* be wrong, as the prototype
      rolls on "Cape-gauge" (1067mm). (An American loco by Märklin isn't a model
      but a toy...) In Z scale it should be 4,85mm... So in our standard-gauge-eyes
      a correct scaled narrow-gauge engine looks too small. Especially if
      proportions between body and wheel-gauge are definitely wrong. I don't own
      the model, but maybe you are so kind and measure the length. The prototype is
      19730mm long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_D51) and has a diameter
      of driving-wheels of 1400mm (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%e5%9b%bd%e9%89%84D51%e5%bd%a2%e8%92%b8%e6%b0%97%e6%a9%9f%e9%96%a2%e8%bb%8a)*.
      Should be 89,7mm and 6,4mm in Z.

      Maybe your estimation about 1/240 is the same phenomena, like a correct scaled
      American Z diesel looks in my European eyes like scale 1/200... ;-)

      Greetings Arnim

      * If you doesn't use unicode-fonts, it is possible that this link doesn't
      work. Than click on the English page at the left frame in the box "languages"
      the first link - and copy-paste the URL into your favorite
      translation-service.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic