64372Re: [Z_Scale] Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Reynard Wellman
    Feb 5, 2010
      Hi Garth etal,
      This is a very cute and nicely detailed steamer.
      Here is my first assessment:
      I have used hand calipers to measure the gauge width of
      the Tenshodo D51 Mikado vs the Marklin Mikado.
      These are first measurements with a Mitutoyo Digital
      caliper and without the benefit of a large Optical Comparator.
      (So your measurements may vary).

      1] There is a difference in Gauge:
      D51 = .243", (6,17 mm)
      Marklin Mikado = .249" (6,32 mm).

      2] Wheel Flange depth:
      D51 = .020", (0,51 mm)
      Marklin Mikado = .030", (0,76 mm).

      I will test run the D51 through MTL roadbed track later this
      week when I have the time. So performance is not yet
      a part of this impression.

      Peculiar looking Arnold style couplers that are scaled down
      from the standard N scale type. (Neither Marklin or MTL type).

      Overall, a very likable little steamer. Looks like it belongs more
      in the 1/240 scale realm of choo-choos though and that might be
      an odd place to aim for. We'll see after the operations tests.

      regardZ,
      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com