64359Re: D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Garth
    Feb 4, 2010
      Hi Jeff;

      I suspect the problem with the Marklin Curved turnout is the same one many have with the other steamers and that is the font pilot comes off the rails when it hits the point of the rail to enter the smaller radius. It is very light and small so no room for any additional weight. As far as my running I have no problem with it on Micro Trains Roadbed track and switches and on Peco track with Wright turnouts and hand laid track and turnouts made using code 40 rail and FastTrack jigs.

      I have no Marklin track but since 2002 I have worked on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City RR at National shows so I am familiar with the track and that curved turnout can be troublesome for other engines as well when running against the points. If you are patient and gentle you can notch the rail so the point is hidden or set into the rail on the outside of the curved rail and this makes it perform better.

      cheerz Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, fredshark@... wrote:

      > Garth wrote: I had my D51 at a train show yesterday and it ran for 5 and a half hours straight without a stop at 2.5 volts pulling ten cars never got warm and other than the voltage is too small for the LED to really light up it was quite a hit.
      >
      > Garth,
      >
      > On the Hobby Search web site, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10092803, there is the caveat for the D51 that states "Cannot run through a Marklin curve point due to partial difference in scale size." Have you had any difficulty running this locomotive on Marklin, or MTL for that matter, track? Thank you.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Jeff Walsh

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic