62407RE: [Z_Scale] What happened to the power?

  • Matthew Parker
    Jul 3, 2009
      Yes you've got it. I was thinking along the same lines so I went out today and purchased a twin contol box for loops and it gives complete instalation instructions on the back, but instead of cutting gaps in the rails is show using insulated joiners. But I can get them here. So I guess cutting the gaps will work the same way as the joiners. I just have to follow the directions on the back of the package. That reminds me, I have to pick up some more wire.

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      From: ddechamp71@...
      Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:53:36 +0000
      Subject: RE: [Z_Scale] What happened to the power?

      >I've been reading other responses to this and I am thinking that the >problem could in fact be at my loops. They are running off the same power >as the rest of the layout and it does make sense that I'm trying to feed >the power back into itself through the turnouts. They are not insulated >or isolated in any way.

      So if I've properly understood that's it: without any isolation the (+) rail comes back on the (-) stockrail, thus the short. In my opinion you should cut a gap on each rail leaving the turnout, straight and curve (thus 4 gaps as a total), and feed the loop with an inverter that allows to change polarity when the train comes back to the turnout.

      Dom