59698Re: Need Help in learning to paint and build from scratch for z scale.

  • Garth Hamilton
    Feb 4, 2009
      It depends what the surface you are working with is like if the paint
      is a flat coat then I use dulcoat first before I decal and then again
      after I apply the decal. If the paint is a gloss coat then I decal
      and the either dulcoat or gloss coat afterwards depending on the
      finish I want. Sometimes depending on the thickness of the decal film
      and the surface I am applying the decal too, I use a product like to
      Solvaset right after applying the decal for snugging the decal down
      on the surface particularly if you are going over ribs, despressions
      or other details and such before finishing up with a dulcoat finish
      after it dries thoroughly.

      I use Railroad Colors spray tins for dulcoat and gloss finishes, but
      if you have an airbrush you can get it in small bottles like paint
      for brushing or using in a air brush. There are other brands of this
      stuff around as well. Solavset I cut 50/50 with distilled water for
      small thin decal film and 75/25 with distilled water for larger and
      heavier decals. Make sure your decal is down first before applying
      solvaset as this stuff will melt the film so if it is not down it
      will scrunch your decal. Solvaset is not needed on flat surfaces
      coated with dulcoat or gloss finish before decalling unless you are
      having trouble getting the decal down on the surface.

      this is my experience anyway

      cheers
      Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "msksport" <msksport@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@> wrote:
      >
      > Hello: Do I clear coat the resin trailer first then apply the
      decals or do I apply the decals