59660Re: AZL latching couplers

  • Cliff Travis
    Feb 3, 2009
      Hi,
      Thanks for your info about old & new AZL latching couplers. Do you
      think that the rigid mounting of the coupler will ahve any affect on
      ability to run on small radius track.? I have cinverted 4 carswith
      the new trucks but have not yety had a chaance to run them. They are
      as free runmning as the Japanese ProZ trucks but unfortunately doe
      not have thr metal bearing surface provied by the Kato style current
      pickups and the wheels are less prone to falling out than those in
      MTL trucks.
      Cliff

      > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
      >

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Correction to this post:
      > >
      > > The newer couplers are newer tooling. They do not have the flash
      > that
      > > the older ones did. But they also do not have much in the way of
      > side-
      > > to-side movement; they are very stiff, compared to their older
      > > couplers which moved side-to-side relatively easily.
      > >
      > > That said, it is still possible to make the older couplers easier
      > > couple by simply clipping off the pins on the side of the knuckle.
      > >
      > > Sorry for the confusion.
      > >
      > > --David
      > >
      > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
      > >
      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-
      > > coupling "Auto-
      > > > Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?
      > > >
      > > > Nope.
      > > >
      > > > The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded
      > onto
      > > > the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts
      > from
      > > > spreading.
      > > >
      > > > The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old
      > couplers
      > > > with this pin clipped off.
      > > >
      > > > Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-
      coupling"
      > > AZL
      > > > couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by
      > simply
      > > > clipping off this pin.
      > > >
      > > > Go figure...
      > > >
      > > > --David