59599Re: AZL latching couplers

  • David K. Smith
    Jan 31, 2009
      Yes, as a matter of fact, I've been measuring a lot of wheels
      recently.

      The Micro-Trains Z scale 33" wheels measure 33.75 scale inches. (By
      the way, the AZL metal wheels from their roller bearing trucks are
      33.5 scale inches.) For anyone who really, really wants 36" Z scale
      wheels, get some Nn3 trucks. These wheels measure 36.25 scale inches.

      The difference is indeed hard to discern, but it's quite noticable
      when 33" and 36" wheels are side-by-side.

      --David

      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      http://1-220.blogspot.com/

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@...> wrote:

      > Garth Hamilton wrote:
      > > I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high
      capacity
      > > cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
      > > ones.
      >
      > The difference in Z scale is .0135", not enough to notice.
      >
      > 33" wheels should be .15" in diameter.
      > 36" wheels should be .163" in diameter. Anybody measure some wheel
      sets
      > recently?
      >
      > Regards
      > Bill Dixon