59579Re: AZL latching couplers

  • Garth Hamilton
    Jan 27, 2009
      I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high capacity
      cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
      ones. MTL's I think represent 33 inch size. Could it be that AZL is
      representing 36 inch as used on modern cars with roller bearing
      trucks. Having said that I think there are some enclosed auto racks
      that run on 30 inch or 28 inch wheels. Be interesting to see what the
      match is to prototype. There is more than one length for freight
      trucks as I recall.

      cheers
      Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Travis" <cliff@...> wrote:

      > I just got a few sers of the new AZL truck mounted couplersand find
      > that they couple Very Well. Wheels are metal and are very free
      wheeling.
      > Frames are plastic and well detailed.So far all is positive.
      >
      > I converted two MTL Tubular hoppers nad discovered some negatives.
      > Wheels are noticably larger than MTL's and are further apart. I
      cannot
      > say which ones are correctly dimensioned but difference is quit
      > noticable.Trucks have really excessive horizontal swing.
      >
      > The mount easily using origianl MTL bolster springs. AZL supplies
      pins
      > but they do not fit MTL bodies.
      >
      > The two cars with AZL couplers works VERY well but coupler height
      is so
      > low that they will not couple with MTL coupers althoughwhen at the
      same
      > height they appear to be completely compatible.
      >
      > Couplers are almost rigid in the coupler coupler housing whereas
      MTL
      > couplers move easily from side to side in the box. A real plus is
      that
      > the ASLs are rigid which should prevent the ojectionable bouncing
      which
      > occurs with MTL couplers.
      >
      > My initial enthusiasm for converting all of my cars to AZL couplers
      was
      > dampened by the points mentioned above.
      >
      > I sincerely hope that someone will find that I have done something
      > wrong and describe how the conversion to AZLz is easy and
      PRACTICAL.
      > Then I can do some converting.( although the dimensional
      differences
      > may stil be a problem). Ican live with roller bearings on wooden
      cattle
      > cars if the mechanics are OK
      >
      > Cliff

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic