59338Re: Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

  • David K. Smith
    Jan 3, 2009
      OK, then, I suppose I'd better batten down the hatches and be
      prepared for the worst! Clearly I've underestimated the hostile
      nature of the world.

      --David

      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      http://1-220.blogspot.com/

      > > Second, 99.9% of "tracking" data is not used in a malicious way;
      it's

      > Do you define malicious as "charging you different amounts for
      > the same product according to a mathematic model of your income"
      >
      > I certainly prefer them to have poor or invalid data so they can't
      screw
      > me.
      >
      > > Third, the concept of "big brother" should really only scare
      people
      > > who have something to hide. True, on rare occasion some innocent
      Joe
      > > gets his life turned inside out by mistake, but people stand a
      much
      > > better chance of being killed in a car accident.
      >
      > Please cite the statistical data you are using. I don't believe
      you, and
      > if you knew someone with the same name as someone on the US idiot
      no-fly
      > list you'd have different views I think.
      >
      > > Fourth, based on observations I've made of some data-keepers,
      > > our "secrets" are quite safe because they are in the hands of
      dimwits
      > > who haven't a clue how to manage the data they have--not to
      mention
      > > they have entirely too much data to manage in the first place.
      Safety
> [...]
      very
      > > well protected, and I'm extremely mindful of the sites where I
      make
      > > transactions, and over time I've gotten over my fears. Beyond
      that,

      > (some real statistics for you: more card fraud occurs by phone than
      > internet - because the phone ordering involves a human paid minimum
      wage
      > having all your details. Internet retailers go to huge lengths to
      keep
      > card numbers and info from ever being in the hands of an employee.
      > Companies that do electronic card handling are also subject to
      regular
      > security audits and a strict security policy from the card
      companies).

      > > if someone is "following" me as I surf the web, well, I cannot
      for
      > > the life of me imagine how this information could be exploited
      > > maliciously.
      >
      > The advertisers use it to build an exact profile of you to optimise
      their
      > advertising but also in some cases to change the prices you are
      offered.
      > Its the electronic equivalent of the rule about going to buy
      electronic
      > goods or a car looking shabby, and never wearing a suit when you are
      > going to haggle.
      >
      > Fraudsters and scammers don't generally have access to the same
      data sets
      > (although obviously when there are leaks...). They often work off
      public
      > data however - names of relatives and parents etc
      >
      > Find a person who runs a business
      > Get the business address
      > Look em up on facebook
      > Build a map of their relatives
      > Find their mothers family if at all possible
      > Get the mothers maiden name
      >
      > At that point you've typically got enough to scam a bank account or
      > hire purchase (although companies have gotten a lot more careful).
      >
      > A recent and even more evil variant of this involves using a cheque
      to get
      > a persons account details, picking up name and address information
      from
      > them (easy if its an order you lifted) then transferring money to
      the
      > persons account. A common bank authentication approach when you
      phone up
      > and forget passwords etc will be
      >
      > "Name" blah
      > "Date of birth" blah off facebook
      > "Mothers maiden name" blah off facebook
      > "Can you tell me one of your most recent transactions"
      > "Certainly ...." (give details of xfer from another stolen
      acct
      > into this one)
      >
      > Some of the scammers are very very clever and there is an ongoing
      battle
      > between the banks, business world and scammers to invent new

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic