59091Re:TCS announces 2 new DCC decoders for AZL and MTL

  • Jeff BAZ-man
    Dec 12, 2008
      OH !!! It made it !!! Phew !!! As I said, some key on the KB and
      bam it was gone and I was looking at the blank "reply" sceeen.

      Thanks for getting that back up.

      jeff

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:

      > Hey,
      > I learned a ton! Here it is to read again!
      >
      > ron
      >
      > > Ron and Jack:
      > >
      > > TCS is not revolutionary but brings a practical to install
      decoder to
      > > the AZLs where everything else had to be shoe horned or custom
      fitted
      > > in there. Now ANYONE can put one in ! They also bring
      competition
      > > (and a better fitting decoder) for the MTL products along with 4
      > > functions instead of Digitrax's 2 functions (MTL locos only)
      > >
      > > The new TCS Z2 is a 2 function and comparible to the Digitrax
      DZ123M0
      > > (<---that is a zero on the end) or the older DZ123 that has wires
      on
      > > it for any loco. Both are 2 functions. 2 functions are fine for
      90%
      > > of the users as most are only use for the 'headlights'.
      > >
      > > The new TCS Z2 is for the AZL's and has to be wired in (VERY easy
      if
      > > you can solder and someone can tell or show you how, even on the
      > > phone if you spend $15 for a soldering iron). You COULD use it
      in
      > > the MTL locos but why when you have two choices of drop ins.
      > >
      > > The new TCS MZ4 is a 4 function and only designed to go in the
      MTL
      > > products, competing with the Digitrax DZ123M0 <--a zero there.
      But
      > > now you have a 4 function decoder so some of us can add those
      ditch
      > > lights or extra light functions like a top beacon or second front
      > > headlight in MARS mode.
      > >
      > > The default for the 2 functions is F0F (that's a zero in there)
      for
      > > the first function output a and F0R for the second output. (Man,
      > > don't ask me why it is not F1R as I have never found the [idiot]
      > > reason why). The FOF and FOR means Forward and Reverse as they
      are
      > > for lighting (99% of users). These are referred to function 1 and
      2
      > > only when you are counting the number of functions. They start
      > > at 'zero' as it is a digital based system and zero is a value !
      > > (wink). So, when you run the loco, F0F activates when going
      forward
      > > and F0R when you go reverse. No matter which way you put the
      loco on
      > > the track. No programming on your part. Just drop that baby right
      in
      > > there. They are not always "on" by default so you press the F0
      button
      > > on the Cab (the hand held 'throttle'), usually labeled Headlight
      on
      > > most cabs (look on the back or next to back page of a Model
      > > Railroader magazine at an MRC ad an you can see the buttons).
      They
      > > will light in what ever direction you are going. Same if you
      push it
      > > again, they will go off. You can program a variable to make them
      > > stay on and in a certain desired way, read on !
      > >
      > > Virtually all DCC decoders can redefine the function outputs and
      the
      > > way they work. Say you don't have a rear light (e.g. most steam,
      > > F7's, etc.). You could remap the F0R (that's the second function
      if
      > > you are still following me) to another F0F but make it's light
      > > a "MARS" like light rather than solid on like F0F or better, make
      it
      > > F1 so you can control it seperate. You can make them turn on
      only
      > > when actually moving (speed >1) rather than just on (default mode
      if
      > > you press the direction button on the cab, the light immediately
      also
      > > changes [helps idiots know which way their loco will be going]).
      Or
      > > maybe you have a yard beacon on the top.
      > >
      > > Now, the cool thing is if you put 2 or more locos in a consist,
      only
      > > the front loco's light will come on and when you go in reverse,
      the
      > > rear-most loco's light will come on. A lot of railroads had a
      rule
      > > that if the loco was active, the lights had to be on so when in
      > > reverse, the front light would dim rather than off. This has to
      be
      > > programmed but you will soon learn this is a single variable, a
      > > brainer to do !
      > >
      > > 4 (or more) function decoder have the same first two functions:
      FOF
      > > and FOR + 2 more: F1 and F2 (again, don't ask me about the
      numbering
      > > system). These extra 2 are used to turn on sound, smoke,
      beacons,
      > > ditch lights, etc. For ditch lights (those 2 alternating white
      > > lights on some diesel locos) requires 2 function outputs.
      > >
      > > If you run several trains on your layout, run a main line (or
      two)
      > > AND want to just let them run while you do switching functions
      or,
      > > you want to go to a larger show layout, you definitely want to go
      > > DCC. If you run only one loco at a time or a small layout, you
      may
      > > just want to stay DCC. But DCC can make your locos run better at
      low
      > > speeds. $150 for a starter set (NCE Power Cab, MRC-k-e-y Prodigy
      or
      > > Digitrax [Zepher?]) plus $25 for a decoder and you can play with
      the
      > > big boys ;)
      > >
      > > And don't forget, you can run DCC locos any direction and any
      speed
      > > on the same track. Just in case you like driving in traffic, you
      can
      > > make that loco hug the front train's rear !
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > > SF Bay Area Z
      > >
      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Jeff:
      > > > Thank you for an absolutely excellent write up concerning these
      DCC
      > > decoders.  It was very well written.  When you state that the Z2
      is a
      > > 2 function decoder, what does that mean, exactly?  For instance,
      > > have the Digitrax drop ins in my MTL engines.  How would one
      describe
      > > these Digitrax 123?? decoders?
      > > > Oh, I was also in contact with Norm's and his TCS decoders
      are "on
      > > the way to him."
      > > > Thanks for the information.
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Jack Chase

      Digitrax
      > > > and others do not have the convenience of Cab Function
      controlling
      > > it
      > > > and require CV changes to turn it off/on. Some Z locos may not
      run
      > > as
      > > > well with it on, some run better. Normally, it is not a good
      idea
      > > in
      > > > Consists (or MU for Multiple Units e.g. 2 or 3 locos lashed
      > > together)
      > > > as one will try and compensate and then the other tries to
      > > compensate
      > > > so you sometimes see this surging difference between the 2 or 3
      > > > locos. There are normally several variables that can be changed
      > > > tweak it but the loco performance or position in a consist or
      even
      > > > the direction can screw it all up. Turn it off in these cases.
      > > >
      > > > You can order the Digitrax DZ123M0 (that's a zero at the end)
      from
      > > > number of places where as existing TCS resellers will have to
      stock
      > > > up on the TCS Z products. Norm's Trainworld
      > > > (http://www.normstra inworld.com/ dccz.htm) back in New England
      > > WILL
      > > > have them in stock ! Guaranteed.
      > > >
      > > > Jeff