59069RE: [Z_Scale] Re: DCC for Dummies?

  • John Duino
    Dec 11, 2008
      The spiral bound manual that came with the Cab does do that (but no
      pictures), but if something goes wrong, or not quite how you like/expect
      it, I found the manual useless for, just as you said, it assumes you have
      the knowledge already (but if I did, then I wouldn't need the manual).

      The book Don points out looks interesting. I'll look for it at the train
      show this weekend to see if it covers the details that I'm looking for. I
      don't need frequency theory, but I need more detail than "hook one wire to
      each rail."

      John

      > Hi all,
      >

      > I think most of us can appreciate what DCC actually does, but what is
      > puzzling for me is how to go about getting the darn things to do it. I
      > need
      > something that says something like , “Go and buy this DDC controller [name
      > of manufacturer.] Then you buy this chip/receiver and fit it according to
      > this diagram. ‘Plate XX3’
      >

      > “Wire the controller to the track according to diagram ‘Plate XX12’. and
      > then press button ‘A’ on the controller to ‘speak’ to the loco. Turn the
      > controller to the right and it should move forward.”
      >

      > If each bit was explained like that we could then have some idea of what
      > is
      > involved and no doubt a light would come on in what passes for a brain in
      > my
      > old head and all would become clear.. Further chapters could explain other
      > ways of using it to do more things, but in the same sort of language.
      > Language that a complete layman can understand.
      >

      > I have several Gauge 1 locos that are Märklin DCC and I have actually run
      > just one of them on a short piece of track to ‘play’ with it. I bought a
      > book on it and am still none the wiser as most books seem to assume that I
      > have knowledge that I just do not have. The Märklin books are a tad short
      > of
      > full explanation.
      >

      > Surely it can be made simple. What these writers think is ‘simple stuff’
      > is
      > completely beyond me.
      >

      > John said, >> “The manual that comes with the
      > NCE is a bit useless for truly learning about DCC (kinda like reading a
      > dictionary then trying to write a novel...all the words are there, just
      > gotta
      > figure out how to put them in the right order). <<
      >

      > Just that, John, yes.
      >

      > Just my six pennoth, (2 Cents worth, US?)
      >

      > Best wishes to you all.
      >

      > Allan
      >
      > (Norfolk, UK)
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic