      From: Jeff BAZ-man <sjbazman49@...>
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re:TCS announces 2 new DCC decoders for AZL and MTL
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 2:38 PM

      The MZ4A's won't ship until January and there will be plenty
      available so no one should be "out of stock" as they will be promptly
      restocked.

      While these are unproven or tested mainstream in Z, they are an
      existing design from the N and HO series that are simply relaid to
      fit in the Z locos. So I have faith. Plus 4 function versus 2 on the
      MTL loco version (we like to put in addtional lights rather than the
      common 2 function Forward and Reverse lights) I'm switching.

      The TCS's will fit more easily. The Digitrax DZ123MO mounting
      notches are slightly off location so you have to file the 'rear' ones
      about 1/32 of an inch farther back so they will propertly start in
      the 4 mounting posts.

      Both will work. Both (actaully all decoders) have Back Elecro Motive
      Force (BEMF) that tries to compensate for speed changes with loads,
      up/down grades or slow speed runnign. You can EASILY turn it off on
      the TCS decoders by hitting F6 on your DCC Cab (hand held throttle)
      or by changing CV61 to 'permanently' turn it off (or on). Digitrax
      and others do not have the convenience of Cab Function controlling it
      and require CV changes to turn it off/on. Some Z locos may not run as
      well with it on, some run better. Normally, it is not a good idea in
      Consists (or MU for Multiple Units e.g. 2 or 3 locos lashed together)
      as one will try and compensate and then the other tries to compensate
      so you sometimes see this surging difference between the 2 or 3
      locos. There are normally several variables that can be changed to
      tweak it but the loco performance or position in a consist or even
      the direction can screw it all up. Turn it off in these cases.

      You can order the Digitrax DZ123M0 (that's a zero at the end) from a
      number of places where as existing TCS resellers will have to stock
      up on the TCS Z products. Norm's Trainworld
      (http://www.normstra inworld.com/ dccz.htm) back in New England WILL
      have them in stock ! Guaranteed.

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z