58702Re: Secondhand dealers in Switzerland

  • kz3dx
    Nov 5, 2008
      Hi Jeff,

      Boy, if you have an office in Balzers, I have a great restaurant for
      you that is quite close.

      Take the road out of Balzers that goes east over the hill to
      Maienfeld, CH. It is a wonderful drive. At the top of the hill is
      this medevil fort with a Roman arch you drive through. The fort is
      now used by the Swiss Army.

      Just as you are coming into the village, there is an 12 century castle
      on your right. It sits back off of the road and is a little difficult
      to see...but not hard to find. They have a restaurant on the second
      floor that has the best food you have ever eaten in your life. It is
      kind of a local place, but people come from all over the eat there.

      My second tip, of which you may already be aware, is try flying Swiss
      International Airways. I have never flown Swiss before for long-haul
      flights. I usually fly Lufthansa. I was impressed. Between Zurich
      and Chicago, they fed us 40 or 5 times. The food was excellent. The
      flight attendants acted like they really enjoyed their jobs. The
      flight was good, slow flat turns and slow descents. It was better
      then Lufthansa.

      Maybe we should start a Marklin Z travel group.

      Bill

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

      > All, great info ! I have an office in Balzers, Liechtenstein I
      > visit 1-2x per year with several colleages living in Chur where we
      > often eat (and drink :) I have visted Jürg and Daniel but would like
      > to see some train shops next time. Many are small and of course few
      > have Z but I am more interested in the shops.
      >
      > I've noted all the recommendations for the next holiday travel,
      > likely March this time.
      >
      > Jeff
      > SF Bay Area Z
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kz3dx" <kz3dx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Mike,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the reply.
      > >
      > > I am familiar with the little shop that is around the corner from
      > the
      > > train station in Lucerne, Switzerland, but not the one in Laussane.
      > >
      > > I think the transportation museum you are referring to is in
      > Lucerne.
      > > And, yes I visit it every time I am there. They have moved the
      > > layout to a new location and appear to have expanded it, from my
      > visit
      > > two years ago.
      > >
      > > The other thing that I visit at the museum is the Amateur Radio
      > Station.
      > >
      > > I have always been quite lucky finding deals on Z in Switzerland.
      > > Because of my killer schedule on this trip, I was not able to visit
      > > any train stores.
      > >
      > > But, in the past I have gotten great deals at the Zurich modellbahn
      > swap.
      > >
      > > There is a guy who has a store at the train station at Meggen,
      > > Swtizerland. Meggen is about 5 minutes (by train) from Lucerne on
      > the
      > > north side of the lake. His shop is in the same building as the
      > train
      > > station. He has a lot of used trains. Some of the items are not
      > > priced, but the owner speaks English so all you have to do is ask.
      > > have gotten some really great deal at this place. Plus it is a very
      > > nice convenient shop to visit.
      > >
      > > Another place where I have found a lot of Z at great prices is at
      > the
      > > modellbahn swap at Radolfzell. This is a small town on the German
      > > Swiss boarder just east of Schaffhausen, Switzerland. It is only
      > held
      > > about three or four times a year, but if you are in the area when it
      > > is held, it will be well worth you time to attend.
      > >
      > > The exchange rate for the Dollar (US and Canada) and the Swiss Franc
      > > is very favorable. In fact, Switzerland is quite a bargain right
      > now.
      > >
      > > Bill

      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@> wrote:

      > > > visit

      > > > HI Bill
      > > >
      > > > We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne
      > Switzerland
      > > > visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the
      > train
> [...]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic