57117Fw: Last run thru the Alps !

  • Jeff
    Jun 24, 2008
      Back in the cab of the BLS cargo train with Daniel Baechtold.  Started just across the Swiss border in Haltingen, Germany (by Wil on the Rhein).  There was a load problem that held up our first Lok's arrival but we made it all up.  Normal departures usually get held up all over so starting late is good. We ended up in Frutigen, in in the Kander Valley by one of the NEAT tunnel, just past Thun, about 50km south of the Bern capital..  Talk about super elevated track! About a 12" difference from one track pair to the other !!  The new high speed test train was parked on a siding.  This one can increase the existing speed by tilting the cars themselves by an additional 9 degrees. There are some LONG turnouts for 120kmh trains. Look like a #12 or something.
      Our loads are 3 axle trucks (Lorries) on the equivelant of a containel car.  4 macro sized wheels under it !  Pix when I get home.

      Well, off we go, back down the hill, dynamically breaking most of the way.

      We pass thru Olten, nearby where Jürg lives but not able to stop by on this visit.

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile