51909Re: MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other stuff..

  • Joe DAmato
    Apr 2 9:50 AM
      Well...I have to send out plenty of metal railings each week now, and
      most of them are unpainted cause I'm out of painted ones. I guess
      it's trading one problem for another. For MTL, it allows us to paint
      the sides of the cars much easier since the railings are at times
      different colors than the sides of the cars...also the cost...pennies
      vs dollars for the metal parts. I'm trying to steamline production
      and cut costs and still have a superior product and I have to
      consider what the average guy is going to do with these. It's not
      out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
      raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
      would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
      them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
      make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)

      Joe
      MTL

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pinekirk" <pinekirk@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
      > Kato
      > > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
      > > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say)
      included
      > > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
      > > Cheers
      > > Joe
      > >

      > This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes
      that
      > with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for
      replacement
      > parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
      > Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due
      > broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.
      >
      > i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can
      be
      > modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would
      suppose
      > you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would
      be
      > VERY thin and need the kind of durability.
      >
      > unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-
      glue
      > (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would
      cut
      > off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY
      counterproductive
      > to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable"
      unit!

      > i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the
      etched
      > railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
      > designs.
      > my 2 cents.
      > dave f.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic