51905Re: MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other stuff..

  • pinekirk
    Apr 2 9:26 AM
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

      >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
      Kato
      > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
      > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say) included
      > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
      > Cheers
      > Joe

      This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes that
      with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for replacement
      parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
      Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due to
      broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.

      i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can be
      modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would suppose
      you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would be
      VERY thin and need the kind of durability.

      unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-glue
      (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would cut
      off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY counterproductive
      to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable" unit!

      i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the etched
      railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
      designs.
      my 2 cents.
      dave f.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic