51239Re: Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Allan Miller
    Mar 4, 2007
      I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
      For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
      the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
      scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
      Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
      is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
      1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
      rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

      For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
      pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
      someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
      of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
      there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
      and the like.