49600Re: sending photos

  • Ell Geib
    Dec 9, 2006
      Thanks for the additional info Mark. By the way, I changed my 20 in.
      iMac's resolution setting from 1280 x 800 to 1680 x 1050 to see what
      your setting looks like. You must have good eyes to read text that
      small. I went back to my setting.

      Ell Geib

      On Fri Dec 8, 2006 8:34 am (PST)
      "Mark Lewis" mflewis@... wrote

      >Thomas Scheuzger wrote:

      >"FYI, the native resolution of a Windows monitor is 96 dpi, and
      >a >Mac is 72 dpi."

      That was true back in the early 1990s, but hasn't been true in many
      years. Native resolution doesn't exist anymore by system. Both
      systems can use the exact same displays these days, and the native
      resolution of the display is determined by hardware not the system
      software. The old 72 dpi geometry on Macs was based on print
      technology where users who wanted to see exact print size on the
      screen measured in type points (actually points as redefined by
      Postscript, which is rounded down from the traditional printers point
      of 72.27 dpi). For photographic purposes, constraining the image to
      72 dpi does not show the actual pixels, but rather shows the image in
      a point representation, as it will look in a print document created
      on a Postscript printer.

      If you want to see the actual pixels, you have to know the real
      resolution of your display.
      Example: I am writing this on a nominally 20" iMac with a resolution
      of 1680 x 1050. Measured horizontally, the resolution is 1680/17" =
      90 dpi, not 72. That is the native resolution of the screen and what
      has to be set in Photoshop to see the actual pixels.

      Mark