49452Re: Micro Trains Dummy F-7 B

  • Glen Chenier
    Dec 4, 2006
      Following up on Loren's suggestion, there is a way to take the work
      out of this and prevent accidental cut-throughs especially if you
      have more than 1 shell to shave. A jig can be made from a Dremel
      drill press and when precisely aligned will easily shave the shell
      walls to clear the motor bulge. Shims for adjusting the stage tilt
      and a means of mechanically adjusting the guide positions are needed
      to carefully align the jig. My version is made out of wood, perhaps
      heavy styrene might work too if anyone wants to experiment.

      Considering the current squeeze in this list photo section, I have
      put a couple photos in the companion Z_Scale_2 photo list to show the
      general idea. For those not yet members of the Z_Scale_2 photo list,
      initial sign-up and moderator action is required to keep out
      spamsters.

      The album name is 'An MTL F7 B Dummy to Power Milling Jig'
      <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Z_Scale_2/photos>

      The powered chassis needs to have it's shell locking tabs on both
      sides of the fuel tank trimmed flat. Thin shims can be added under
      the chassis end screws to raise them slightly to grip the inside of
      the B shell so the chassis does not fall out when picked up. Flat
      toothpicks can be inserted to release the shell afterwards for
      chassis maintenance.

      The leftover B chassis can be filed or ground round at one end to fit
      the leftover A shell and make a dummy A unit.