37756Re: Track soldering

  • Adam Amick
    Nov 2, 2005
      I think what's missing here is Tom is talking about where and how he
      does his feeder wires for track power. The method he's talking about
      is more discreet than soldering to the side of rail.

      So we've got two different mini-topics in this thread. The first one
      was soldering rail before laying the track. The second one is how to
      do your power drops.

      Adam

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomascb2004" <thomascb2004@y...>
      wrote:

      > I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first I soldered to
      > the outside but got away from that becuase the solder has such a
      > smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the results I wanted
      > when weathering the track. I now solder to the bottom side of the
      > track and go straight down through the roadbed etc. to the
      underside
      > of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right where I am
      going
      > to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the most part in
      > palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a few grains of
      > ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at the joints I
      can
      > leave a small gap so the track has room to expand when temperature
      > changes. Hope that helped.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Tom in Dallas
      >

      > > I don't understand. Where do you solder track if not
      > > at the joints?
      > >
      > > --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > [snip]
      > >
      > > > I have sort of gotten into
      > > > soldering each
      > > > piece of track and not soldering at the joints

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic