37751Re: Track soldering

  • thomascb2004
    Nov 2, 2005
      I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first I soldered to
      the outside but got away from that becuase the solder has such a
      smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the results I wanted
      when weathering the track. I now solder to the bottom side of the
      track and go straight down through the roadbed etc. to the underside
      of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right where I am going
      to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the most part in
      palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a few grains of
      ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at the joints I can
      leave a small gap so the track has room to expand when temperature
      changes. Hope that helped.

      Best regards,

      Tom in Dallas

      > I don't understand. Where do you solder track if not
      > at the joints?
      >
      > --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@y...> wrote:
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > > I have sort of gotten into
      > > soldering each
      > > piece of track and not soldering at the joints
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic