23891Re: Amps

  • Kari Sarmanne
    Jul 1, 2004
      Take a look at the following page:

      http://www.fr-model.de/english/information_scratch_battery.htm

      You can use a 0.4 W potentiometer with the LM317T regulator.

      I have built some battery power packs using a 0.4 W potentiometer
      and a transistor ( BD244C ). They work just fine.

      Without a regulator or transistor you must have at
      least a 4 W potentiometer, but I do not recommend it.

      I have built two cigar box layouts, but I have not put
      the 9 V battery in the box. I just have a connection to
      a battery power pack or to 230 V power pack.

      Kari S.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hertel" <paulhertel@c...> wrote:
      > Thankz. I was think the amps were pretty small. I know about the
      voltage
      > as I'm
      > working on a cigar box layout to be run with a 9V battery.
      > Last night I had the pleasure of burning up a potentiometer. A 9V
      battery
      > made the insides glow nicely.
      > Then the tell tail smell of burnt electronics!
      > Maybe I'll have to get the voltage regulator from ZTrack. I was
      hoping for
      > a cheaper alternative.
      >
      > Thankz again!
      >
      > Paul