19710Re: Look what went by my office on Tuesday

  • Charles Kuttner
    Jan 31, 2004
      On Jan 30, 2004, at 10:47 PM, Bill K. wrote:

      >> Very interesting. Unless this is a trick photo, Bill, it seems to be a
      >> very enlarged model of a real Z locomotive. It's amazing, seeing how
      >> small the cars and people look next to it. I would estimate it has
      >> been
      >> enlarged 220 times from the prototype.
      >>

      > Since you enjoyed my cut and paste trick photos <smile> so much, I put
      > up a
      > few more that I took today. Poke around here:
      >
      > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/3985/
      >
      > By the way, I'm 6 foot 2 inches, if that helps give you some idea of
      > driver
      > size.

      Bill, all levity aside, I'm in awe just looking at these pictures. I've
      been around just enough steam locos that I could imagine the rumbling
      of the ground as this behemoth rolls by. These shots help remind us
      that we're not only making our own little versions of the world, but
      capturing the fascination we have for the real trains. If I were in
      Houston right now, I'd hang out wherever I could find this engine,
      except when with my family there. I wouldn't waste time at the Super
      Bowel, er, Super Bowl; I have my priorities!

      The local engine that keeps me fascinated is:
      http://www.pnwc-nrhs.org/pnw-trains/SP4449.html
      I recall being in a local station (Albany, OR) a number of years ago
      and seeing, hearing, and feeling this fire-breathing monster come up to
      me.

      But since you're 6 foot 2 inches, or 74 inches, and I'm 5 foot 6 inches
      tall, or 66 inches tall, you'd be 8.4 mm on my layout, I'd be 7.6 mm
      tall. Don't ask me why I just figured that one...

      Bill, you are our friend and mentor! Thanks to your inspiration, my
      railroad is under construction with a really neat track plan. It will
      be a slow process, but I plan to share pictures.

      chas

      Charles Kuttner, MD
      Portland, OR
      http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/

      Otherwise known as:
      Col. Cornelius Kuttner
      Proprietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
      Poorfarm RR
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic