18601Re: Recommended track gradient

  • Glen Chenier
    Jan 4, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Svein-Martin Holt" <post@p...> wrote:
      > ...I made my own test on my AZL E8 A+B unit, because I was not
      > satisfied with the number of cars this nice locomotive could handle
      > before it start to spin. The test can be found on this page:
      > http://www.platelayer.com/mj/zanlegg/loadtestAZLE8.asp
      > ...I will therefor limit the grade on any of my layouts to the
      > possible value, so I will be able to run long trains with my North
      > American equipment. Its not so fun to have only 5 cars behind the
      E8 A+B. Its much better to have all my 30+ coalhoppers in a long

      This is exactly the kind of information that would be useful to
      anyone buying a new locomotive, or designing a new layout with grades
      and being able to predict the operating limitations. While 30
      hoppers are indeed a nice sight and one of the strengths of Z, many
      do not have the room for even this and must settle for shorter trains
      and steeper grades if used.

      In addition to measuring the slip grade limit of various locomotives
      on their own, the information provided on car-hauling capability on
      various grades is very helpful too. It is harder to create a
      standardized test for rolling stock due to the many different types
      and combinations, but it will give a good guide to all, especially
      newcomers to Z scale.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic