18556Re: [z_scale] Re: Recommended track gradient

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Jan 1, 2004
      Greg:

      > Bill do you remember if the discussion centered on getting traction by
      > getting the drivers on the rails in forward motion, or was it also coupled
      > to better electrical contact? (My memory says it was a traction issue, but I
      > seem to remember something about crossing the frogs in a switch).

      The photo's showed tiny brass shims added to the bottom of the slots that the
      middle axles fit into. The slots are deeper than the diameter of the axles,
      which allow the axles to ride up on the idler gears when in forward motion.
      Easy enough to add..no drilling or gluing.

      The purpose was to maintain wheel-to-rail contact for traction. About the
      same time, however, a different author related his success in adding beryllium
      copper power pickups to insides of these same center drivers. Still another
      author added text/photos on tender pickup (my favorite choice).

      I guess the size of the yahoo archives is limited, and even old messages fall
      off the end of the earth in time. Which is a shame, because many questions
      are as perennial as grass.

      Hope this helps,
      Bill K.
      Houston