17984CNC

  • kimvellore
    Dec 2, 2003
      Jim,
      I don't want to bring your enthusiasm down but I feel what we
      currently lack in building Z scale anything is either casting or
      injection molding. Some level of detail can be obtained by Photo
      etching, but none of the lathe and end mills can get to the level of
      detail that casting or injection molding gets. For Z you need all the
      tiny details. For example take a Z-scale loco from Marklin and
      observe the details from the rivets to the trucks, no mechanical
      machine can do that. I own a 4 axis CNC Mill and CNC Lathe and access
      to most CAD software. The only things I can build for Z loco are some
      parts for the drive mechanism, even making the gears right is
      extremely time consuming, so I use Marklin gears and drive mechanism.

      If we could find an artist like Yuji who could make a master
      mould in styrene or wax or resin then it could be reproduced in
      Brass, add some PE details and use some CNC for making the chassis
      and drive mechanism parts and you have a working loco.

      So in order of priority I would say Casting, Photo Etch, CNC
      machining, decal making and painting. The CNC parts could also be
      eventually cast.
      It is a great effort that you making for Z scale community,
      but concentrating on CNC alone will not be able to achieve what you
      are trying to do.

      Regards,
      Kim
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic