17983Re: [z_scale] Re: STEP/CNC for Creating Low-Demand, High-Quality Z Gauge Items

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Dec 2, 2003
      In a message dated 12/2/03 8:38:47 AM, jim_manley@... writes:

      > How about the very first
      > locomotive to be used in service, or the largest locomotive ever
      > built (my favorite is the
      > completely 1969 era Union
      > Pacific DD40XA Centennial, which is over 98 feet in prototype
      > length, and over five inches long in Z)?

      Why would this locomotive be impractical to operate on a Z layout? Z is the
      perfect scale to operate such a large locomotive. HO and above is impractical.
      One of the benefits of Z scale is that we can model large locomotives and cars
      with zero compression. We can have completely prototypical curves that can be
      broad enough to handle a 5 inch loco with no problem. The only limitation is
      ones own space for a layout, but again, that is where Z scale has it's
      advantages. Though we work small, it is time to think big.

      Rob Kluz
      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin OH 43016