15167Re: First Post

  • Frank Daniels
    Jun 30, 2003
      Bill:

      Nice insight.

      May I add that Vollmer buildings include pretty handy
      little cutouts that fit inside their buildings. These
      are black with various-colored translucent paper at the
      window/door areas.

      When the light is turned on, the black areas "insulate"
      the light from escaping and the window openings allow
      light out right where you want it.

      A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
      create such a light shield for any building.

      Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
      8950 light.

      Regards,
      Frank D
      z.scale.hobo

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
      > Scott:
      >
      > > One question. I am working on a new Z scale layout. What are
      the
      > > best lights to use to light the interiors of Z scale buildings
      and
      > > where is the best place to get them.
      > For most of these structures, even with the exterior painted, when
      you put a
      > bulb inside and turn off the room lights, they will look like
      lighted
      > ornaments on a Christmas tree. The walls, roof and window frames
      will glow brightly
      > even with a small bulb inside.
      >
      > The first step is to insure the walls, window frames and roof are
      not
      > transparent to light. Different folks use different techniques of
      stopping light
      > transmission such as aluminum foil glued to the walls/roof or
      black or silver
      > paint on the inside of the building. White paint just won't stop
      it, by the way <
      > sad experience face>
      >
      > Once the building is no longer translucent, then you can consider
      the
      > application of paint or paper so that when you look inside the
      windows and doors, you
      > won't see the "light block" foil, coal black paint or stark silver
      paint. I
      > use an off-white dull finish paint. Others may have other ideas
      for a color.
      > Even small pieces of real wall paper could work.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic