      From: "rohirrim98236" <rohirrim@...>
      To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 6:12 AM
      Subject: [z_scale] Re: Very poor running.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Terry J.N. Rowsell" <terryrowsell@y...> wr=
      ote:
      > Hi.
      >
      > I am at the point where all of my track is layed on my Z scale layout
      > and the scenery is coming along.
      > BUT I can never ever ever get my little locos to run around once
      > without stopping.
      > My two Z scale locos are Markln and for all intents and purposes 0-4-
      > 0 locos electrically which is itself frustrating.
      > I am at the end of my rope!

      [I am just back and catching up on a few weeks
      of emails, so please forgive the `step backwards".]

      I too had been suffering from a very similar experience
      (especially the rope part!). My two locos are M�rklin
      8895 (five pole 2-6-0) and M�rklin 8899 (three pole 4-6-0)
      steamers.

      I had the good fortune, a couple of weeks ago, of taking my
      locos to Terry Sutfin's house and running them on the
      Poorville and Debt City. They ran fine -- smooth, no
      hesitation and well at slow speeds. He graciously lent me
      a few of his (4 axle and 6 axle M�rklin Diesel and
      Electrics) to try on my layout. Because of the much longer
      wheel base I was able to `see' problems in the track
      which were not apparent otherwise.

      Terry also questioned me about my tack nails. I was sure
      they had not been put in too deeply (which I could verify
      with an optivisor!), but he wondered if the tight fit in the
      molded-in hole might still create enough friction to cause
      just enough binding [leteral movement of the rail heads]
      to be a problem. (This guess was prompted by the fact that
      the locos run very well on the two sections on Faller bridges
      where NO nails had been used.)

      I proceeded to remove ALL the nails (track was already held
      in place by ballast and glue), and some of the problems
      cleared up right away.

      Just a bit of experience which might be of help to you, or
      someone.

      ELF

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor