11848Re: [z_scale] Z Track Standards & Prototype

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Dec 3, 2002
      yeah =- toughie.

      Marklin = Sectional = Toy (only my opinion)
      Marklin Flex I have never used.

      For a while it was "what I could get my hands on"....

      Now that I know better where to find the stuff I use MT for mainline
      because it has tie spacing similar to the American prototype Halwa
      turnouts. Plus I really like the way it looks. And I keep believing that
      MT will finally make some bloody turnouts to match. It is hard to ballast
      because you can't find ballast small enough. Using Woodland Scenics fine
      works pretty well.

      I use Peco in the yards and sidings. Peco is easier to work with, for
      sure. Plus the pieces are longer requiring fewer solder joints. It also
      holds it's shape. After thinking it about it more....I would say that Peco
      is best for the starter....

      I plan to start experimenting with superelevation - but I really don't see
      how one would be better than another in that situation.

      Long Live Flex.

      "John Cubbin"
      <jcubbin@optonlin To: "z_scale@yahoogroups.com" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      e.net> cc:
      Subject: [z_scale] Z Track Standards & Prototype
      12/01/2002 08:37
      AM
      Please respond to
      z_scale

      Lately I've been looking more and more at real railroad track in my area
      (Long Island, NY) and have pretty much come to the conclusion that if
      there was a single standard the builders of these lines worked from, it
      was followed very, very loosely. I'm speaking here about tie width and
      spacing. When ideas like NMRA standards and prototypical track are
      discussed, it seems like a tricky area to define as prototypical
      appearance (at least in my area) depends on which town you happen to be
      in!

      Since there are really three choices users have when it comes to Z scale
      track... Marklin, Peco or Micro Trains, and it seems you could find real
      railroad track that would match up reasonably well to any of the three,
      is any one brand viewed more favorably then the other, and if so, why?

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com