UPC and ISBN product codes

  • dbecker4u
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 6:24 AM
      I have been looking at the documentation at
      http://developer.yahoo.com/shopping/V1/catalogListing.html

      It mentions there that there is a way to query by entering a UPC
      code:
      "The UPC code of the product to search for. This can be useful for
      disambiguating books/CDs/DVDs, etc."

      However, I couldn't get a query to return any result.

      Here's an example that returns a 400 error:
      http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/v1/CatalogListing?
      appid=YahooDemo&upc=43396111592

      Can someone help?

      In addition, assuming that UPC does somehow work, does anyone know
      of a plan to have product queries based on the ISBN code of a
      product? This is important as ISBN codes are frequently used in
      websites dealing with books and UPCs are not!

      Thanks :)
    • jenfaenza
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006
        Hi - Catalogid is a required parameter for all calls to the Catalog
        Listing API, so that's why the query below is not working.
        Currently, UPC can only be used to call the API in addition to (and
        not instead of) a catalogid.

        We may have multiple UPCs for a given catalog id (depending on
        different releases of a product, etc.), so if a UPC is specified, we
        try to match the results returned to that UPC. If we cannot do
        that, we use an algorithm to determine which UPC to return for a
        given catalog id.

        The UPC parameter should currently take as inputs either a UPC or a
        ISBN code.

        Finally, we are looking at adding functionality to the API that will
        allow you to query simply by specifying a UPC or ISBN, but that will
        be sometime in Q3/Q4 at the earliest.

        Hope this is helpful!

        Thanks,
        Jen
        --- In yws-shopping@yahoogroups.com, "dbecker4u" <david@...> wrote:

        > I have been looking at the documentation at
        > http://developer.yahoo.com/shopping/V1/catalogListing.html
        >
        > It mentions there that there is a way to query by entering a UPC
        > code:
        > "The UPC code of the product to search for. This can be useful for
        > disambiguating books/CDs/DVDs, etc."
        >
        > However, I couldn't get a query to return any result.
        >
        > Here's an example that returns a 400 error:
        > http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/v1/CatalogListing?
        > appid=YahooDemo&upc=43396111592
        >
        > Can someone help?
        >
        > In addition, assuming that UPC does somehow work, does anyone know
        > of a plan to have product queries based on the ISBN code of a
        > product? This is important as ISBN codes are frequently used in
        > websites dealing with books and UPCs are not!
        >
        > Thanks :)

      • Karoly
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
          I am also looking into using UPC codes, but I'm finding that I have no
          way of determing which catalog id to use for a given UPC code.

          If I use just any old catalog id I can find in the sample service
          calls and a 'real' UPC code, I get the same results as if I used an
          invalid code. For example my search for a Sanyo phone:
          http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/v1/CatalogListing?appid=YahooDemo&catalogid=1991675140&upc=086483055799
          yields results that have nothing to do with the phone.

          My product search for a Sanyo Phone RL-4930, whose UPC code I have:
          http://api.shopping.yahoo.com/ShoppingService/v2/productSearch?appid=YahooDemo&query=Sanyo%20Phone%20RL-4930
          yields results that seem to be accessories for the phone, but not the
          phone itself.
          To top it off, the results are all "Offers", which have no catalog id
          associated with them for obvious reasons.

          So, my question is about ways of making sure that I specify the
          correct UPC code within the context a given category ID. Is there a
          working example or two out there I could use as reference?

          Regards,
          Karoly